Keeping your kit secure in a home garden office/studio

Garden studios are becoming more popular for a variety of reasons. Not only do they save on the cost of renting or hiring a high street studio space,  but they also enable photographers to work closer to home offering more flexible working hours.

One of the most frequent questions we are asked is around the implications of keeping your equipment separate from your house.

Will my kit be insured if it is stored in an outside building, studio or garden office?

This is a really good question, because if the worst were to happen, such as if you were the victim of theft or fire, you need to know how your insurance would respond.

The good news is that the Aaduki policy can cover your garden studio, the building itself and the contents inside – including all of your equipment.

Will my home insurance cover equipment stored in my garden office or studio?

As the studio is technically your place of work, it would be classed as a commercial premises with clients coming and going. Therefore, separate commercial insurance, such as Aaduki’s Photographers’ Insurance policy should be considered. This is a specific policy designed to protect you from the host of risks associated with clients and employees coming and going. Relying on your home insurance to cover these kinds of business risks would not be a good idea as any business claims would not generally be covered by your home insurance policy.

You should also consider Public Liability Insurance, which will protect you if business visitors are injured in the studio or you cause damage to their possessions.

As always, please don’t hesitate to contact a member of the team who will be able to answer any questions you my have!


Paul Newberry Cert CII

Lead Client Adviser