Photography Insurance – why you need to protect your business

Whether you are a professional photographer or just starting out taking photos as a hobby, it’s a great idea to invest in photography insurance, so you can snap away without worrying about something happening to your equipment or an accident occurring.  Working on location can present a raft of risks you may not have thought of.

In this article, we’ll look at exactly what photography insurance is, and how you can go about getting it!

What is photography insurance?

Photography insurance will protect your assets – and importantly, shield you from your liabilities. You will likely want insurance that will cover your camera and other equipment, in case it breaks or is stolen. You might also need public liability insurance, in case your photography causes damage to somebody else or their property.

Types of photography insurance

There are actually several different types of photography insurance, although some overarching policies will cover all of them. Here are some examples of types of insurance that you should look out for.

Equipment insurance

This refers to your camera and other gear.

Professional indemnity insurance

This covers you in case one of your clients accuses you of not completing your services or in case there’s a dispute over your work. They may try to take legal action against you, and professional indemnity insurance can help cover any legal fees. If you are charging for your services, this is an essential type of photography insurance to have.

Public liability insurance

This type of insurance will be useful if your photography business can in any way cause physical injury or damage to materials or property. For example, somebody who is working on the same event as you may try to sue you if they trip on your bag and injure themselves. In this instance, you can call upon your public liability insurance.

This is a must-have for any professional photographers, as well as novice photographers who often work with other people or in busy places.

Business property insurance 

This is great for professionals who have their own property that they want to protect. It’s especially useful if you have a studio that people often visit.

Business car insurance 

Normal motor insurance typically isn’t enough to cover professional photographers who are driving around in their own car. If you are using your car for work, you should contact your car insurance provider and let them know.

As a professional, do I need all of these types of insurance?

Some professional photographers may well need every type of insurance mentioned here. If you are a photographer who works in a range of different settings, including your own studio and on location, you will probably need all of these types of insurance.

If you are a photographer who works at a studio, you may not need the additional car insurance – unless you travel to meetings or deliver work to clients. However, you will need public liability and professional indemnity insurances. These can cover other people getting injured in your studio, damage to your studio and clients suing.

If you only work outdoors, you may not need business property insurance, although you may choose to take it out to cover your editing studio.

What about amateur photographers?

If you are only photographing for a hobby, your insurance needs decline somewhat. You’ll most likely want basic equipment cover and you may still need public liability insurance. 

As you can see, photography insurance can be complex – but it could end up saving you a lot of money, so it’s important to get your head around!

At Aaduki, we have packages for amateur photographers and more comprehensive solutions for professional photographers. Our team of experts are available to chat online or over the phone to discuss your individual needs and will make sure you get the right cover for your situation. Get in touch today.

Paul Newberry Cert CII

Lead Client Adviser